Chicken + salsa = the easiest 15-minute, Instant Pot meal. Add a little cumin, some jalapeno and this chicken is out of this world.
What I love about this recipe, is its adaptability. I can use this shredded chicken in so many other ways whether that be a burrito bowl like I made already, tacos, a quesadilla or even enchiladas. Finding ways to repurpose your favorite recipes is the easiest way to change up your menu with little to no effort. I also have a super secret tip to shredding chicken FAST that makes this recipe even easier. So keep reading for that handy trick.
The key to delicious shredded chicken is picking a salsa you love. For me that’s the Garden Fresh Gourmet – Jack’s Medium Salsa. This salsa is so flavorful and tastes fresh, unlike many of the jarred one’s that sit on the shelves. It also adds a little bit of heat which I always like to bump up with fresh jalapeno and cayenne pepper. I’m slowly becoming a spicy food lover but have to gradually get to the level that most people can tolerate (I’m still definitely on the wimpy side when it comes to heat). But anyways, back to salsa. Feel free to use whatever brand you like. You can typically find the Garden Fresh Gourmet brand in the refrigerated area near the hummus or specialty cheeses.
Try to it for yourself and give me a tag on instagram @emilysbalancedtable. I love to see the things you’re making in your own kitchen!
Salsa Shredded Chicken
- 2 lbs. boneless chicken breast
- 1 container salsa (12-16 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 jalapeno diced
- Sprinkle of cayenne pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in the Instant Pot. Cover with lid and place on Manual HIGH for 15 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release naturally (i.e. don’t turn the little vent knob to release the steam, it will do this on it’s own in about 15 minutes)
- When the Instant Pot has released all its pressure, remove chicken and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, shred chicken. Yes, the beaters you typically use for making cookie dough or a cake. I promise they work and leave you with the best shredded chicken in under a minute!
- DONE! You now have shredded salsa chicken that you can use on top of whatever you like. A salad, in tacos, or in a chipotle-like burrito bowl, the opportunities are endless! Serve with your favorite toppings and as always, ENJOY!