Today is the 5th and final day of my 5 Days of Breakfast series and I’ve saved the most colorful recipe for last! Sometimes there is nothing more comforting than a classic PB&J sandwich. It’s like a grilled cheese, it’s hard to screw up and you know exactly what it’s supposed to taste like. Today I’m throwing a spin on this kid-friendly favorite by putting all the flavors of peanut butter and jelly into a smoothie!
This breakfast is super fast and requires less than 5 ingredients and only 2 steps! High in protein, loaded with fiber and also delicious, this smoothie is something I gravitate towards often, especially when I’m under the weather. Now, I describe it as a smoothie bowl mostly because a bowl photographs WAY better than a to-go cup. But, this smoothie bowl can just as easily be taken on the go (because lets be honest, most of us rarely have time to sit down and decorate our food). That being said, a blender with to-go cups (instead of a bigger blender container) is ideal; you can literally blend your smoothie and head out the door.
I LOVE my Ninja Bullet Blender. It’s actually a combo appliance with a food processor attachment that I use often to make my Monster Cookie Energy Bites or Chickpea Cookie Bars. This blender is convenient and has been a staple in my kitchen for the last two years. If you keep an eye on it, You can easily get it for a lot less than listed. I remember paying maybe $100 at Best Buy when it was on sale and I had a coupon. BUT lets get to the important stuff, the SMOOTHIE recipe!
PB & J Smoothie Bowl
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used a flavored one, but you can use plain; you just may need to adjust the sweetness)
- 3/4 cup – 1 cup milk (almond, cow’s milk, soy, etc.)
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed (optional)
- Spinach (optional)
- Honey roasted peanuts
- Peanut butter
- Chia seeds
- Ground flaxseed
- Raisins or other dried fruit
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. If too thick, add a little more milk and blend again.
- Pour into a bowl and serve. Add toppings of your choice!